Motorola appears to be returning with a vengeance this year as a high-performance phone gets announced for the Chinese market. Dubbed as the Moto Edge S, it’s an affordable phone packing the latest Snapdragon 870 chipset, an overclocked version of the Snapdragon 865+ last year. The phone carries a well-balanced spec sheet, along with a very affordable price tag for those who want a powerful phone in 2021.
Moto Edge S comes equipped with a 6.7″ IPS LCD, but with support for a 90Hz refresh rate for smoother animations and HDR10 for brighter and more colorful video playback of supported videos. The company claims around 560 nits of typical brightness, a few nits shy of iPhone 12‘s 650 nits. Though we can’t say for sure if the build of the phone is of glass or polycarbonate, however, we think it’s the latter due to the 215g weight and 9.77mm thickness. Also, there’s IP52 splash-resistance in tow.
Going back to the front, there are two pinhole cutouts for the 16MP selfie camera and 8MP ultrawide. At the back, you’re greeted with the quad-camera module that houses 64MP f1.7 main, 16MP ultrawide, 2MP depth, and ToF 3D lens. Thanks to the Snapdragon 870, video recording up to [email protected] is possible, but what’s really interesting is that you can push up to [email protected] for a sharper look.
As for the rest of the specs, Moto Edge S features a 5000mAh battery with support for a 20W fast charger, a side-mounted fingerprint scanner, an audio jack, and UFS 3.1 storage type.
Motorola Edge S will ship starting February 3 in China for CNY 1999(~Php14,800) for the 6GB/128GB. The 8GB/128GB and 8GB/256GB are priced at CNY 2399(~Php17,800) and CNY 2799(~Php20,800), respectively. The available colors are Blue and Silver.
It’s going to be interesting if Motorola can get the latest device to launch in the Philippines. It’ll definitely stir competition against Xiaomi, POCO, and OnePlus in the premium mid-range segment.
Motorola Edge S specs, price, availability in the Philippines
- Display: 6.7″, IPS LCD, FHD+ 90Hz HDR10, 560 nits typical
- Design: glass and metal?
- Dimension and Weight: 168.4 x 74 x 9.7 mm, 215g
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250-AC Snapdragon 870 5G (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.2 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.80 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- RAM: 6GB/8GB
- Storage: 128GB/256GB UFS 3.1 with dedicated microSD slot
- Main Camera: 64 MP, f/1.7, (wide), 1/1.72″, 0.8µm, PDAF
16 MP, 121˚ (ultrawide), 1.0µm, PDAF
2 MP, (depth)
TOF 3D | video up to [email protected], [email protected] with EIS
- Selfie Camera: 16 MP, (wide), 1.0µm
8 MP, 100˚ (ultrawide), 1.12µm | video up to [email protected]
- Connectivity & Ports: 5G, 4G, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.1, NFC, audio jack, NFC
- Security: Fingerprint (side-mounted)
- Battery: Li-Po 5000 mAh(20W)
- Audio: loudspeaker
- OS: Android 11, MyUX
- Colors: Blue, Silver
- Price: CNY 1999(~Php14,800), CNY 2399(~Php17,800), and CNY 2799(~Php20,800)
- Release date: February 3, 2021 (China)