Honor is starting its year without Huawei, but that doesn’t mean it’s not going to release incredible value phones for its fanbase. In China, the Huawei-less manufacturer announced the Honor V40 5G — a top-end phone that costs half the Galaxy S21 Ultra and other flagship devices. It’s the first Honor phone without Huawei’s influence (other than the features), hence the likeliness comeback of Google support. Though V40 5G still ships with AppGallery in China, the report suggests Honor View 40, the supposed international name of the phone, shipping with Google services out of the box.
Feature-wise, Honor V40 5G makes use of Dimensity 1000+ from MediaTek to keep the price in check. Although Dimensity 1200 is already out, it still allows for dual-5G standby, a feature not present on current 5G Qualcomm chips. A 4000mAh battery powers the phone, with support for a 66W fast charger. What’s more, there’s 50W fast wireless charging that charges up to 50% in 35 minutes.
The screen of the V40 5G is one of its highlights, featuring a large 6.72″ AMOLED that goes up to 800 nits. There are 300Hz touch rate and 120Hz refresh rate for the smoothest gaming and UI experience. Honor also claims support for 1B colors, making the screen HDR10-certified. Much like the Galaxy S21 Ultra, the edges ever so slightly curve to the side.
There’s a pinhole cutout on the top-left corner for the 16MP selfie snapper, alongside a portrait sensor. As for the back, a 50MP RYYB 1/1.56″ sensor resides alongside an 8MP ultrawide and 2MP macro lenses. Honor baked a ton of camera features, such as AI RAW super portrait engine, handheld super night scene mode, 1920fps super slo-mo, and 4K HDR timelapse.
As impressive as the V40 5G sounds, there’s no audio jack and microSD slot here. Honor is also positioning its flagship device as a gaming phone, thanks to the GPU Turbo X graphics acceleration engine, stereo speakers, and dual-linear motors.
Honor V40 5G is already on sale in China for CNY 3599(~Php26,600) and CNY 3999(~Php29,600) for the 8GB/128GB and 8GB/256GB, respectively. The available colors are Midnight Black, Rose Gold, and Titanium Silver. Initial reports indicate it reaching the international scene by Q2 2020, under the name of Honor View 40.
Honor V40 5G specs, price, availability in the Philippines
- Display: 6.72″ OLED FHD+ 1B colors HDR10 120Hz, 300Hz touch rate, 800 nits peak
- Design: metal frame, glass back
- Dimension and Weight: 163.1 x 74.3 x 8 mm 189g
- Chipset: Mediatek MT6889Z Dimensity 1000+ (7nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.6 GHz Cortex-A77 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G77 MC9
- RAM: 8GB
- Storage: 128GB/256GB UFS 2.1 non-expandable
- Main Camera: 50 MP, f/1.9, (wide), 1/1.56″, 1.0µm, PDAF, Laser AF
8 MP, f/2.4, 120˚, 17mm (ultrawide)
2 MP, f/2.4, (macro) | video up to [email protected] with EIS
- Selfie Camera: 16 MP, f/2.0, (wide) | up to [email protected] with EIS
- Connectivity & Ports: Dual-5G, 4G/LTE, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS, USB-C
- Security: face unlock, in-display fingerprint scanner
- Battery: 4000mAh(66W – 100% in 35 min, 50W Wireless – 50% in 35 min)
- Audio: stereo speakers
- OS: Android 10, Magic UI 4.0, no Google Play Services
- Colors: Midnight Black, Rose Gold, Titanium Silver
- Price: CNY 3599(~Php26,600) and CNY 3999(~Php29,600)
- Release Date: January 2021 (China), Q2 2021 (Global)