After seven months, Vivo has announced the successor to the Vivo S7 of 2020, and if you’re looking for drastic changes, at least from the outside, you’re not getting it here. However, Vivo S9 brings some key features that may make you want to buy it if you’re upgrading from an older phone. In China, Vivo S9 starts at CNY2999(~Php22,500) for the 8GB/128GB and goes up to CNY3299(~Php24,700) for the 12GB/256GB. The pre-order period will last until March 11, with official sales on the next day.
Vivo S9 is retaining most of the features of the S7, such as the 6.44″ AMOLED, 64MP triple-cameras, 44MP+8MP dual-selfies, and even the 4000mAh battery with 33W fast charging. The new addition to the premium mid-range phone is the 90Hz refresh rate for smoother animations and 180Hz touch rate for a more responsive screen. Vivo is also adding HDR10+ playback for better video quality.
Unlike the S7, the successor is shipping with the latest re-skinned Origin OS based on Android 11. The Snapdragon 765G chip has been swapped out for Dimensity 1100 as well — supporting dual-5G standby — though expandable storage remains omitted. Vivo is also bringing software improvements to the cameras, such as Vlog Mode, Double Exposure, and AI noise reduction & brightening.
While Vivo claims that the S9 is its slimmest 5G phone yet, the company managed to make the cooling system cover 30% more area for better heat dissipation. In terms of design, Vivo S9 is still using a notch for the selfie cameras and the camera module resembles the X50 Pro’s a lot. However, the edges are squared instead of rounded, reminding us that Vivo copied the iPhone 12. The colors are available in Black, White, and Gradient Blue.
We rarely see Vivo launch its V-Series in other countries, at least for the high-end segment, so a Philippine release is unlikely.
Vivo S9 specs, price, availability in the Philippines
- Display: 6.44-inch AMOLED 90Hz HDR10+
- Design: metal and glass?
- Dimensions: 158.4 x 73.9 x 7.4 mm , 173g
- Chipset: MediaTek MT6891Z Dimensity 1100 5G (6 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.6 GHz Cortex-A78 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G77 MC9
- RAM: 8GB/12GB
- Storage: 128GB/256GB UFS 3.1 non-expandable
- Main Camera: 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.72″, 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS
8 MP, f/2.2, 120˚, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm
2 MP, f/2.4, (depth) | up to [email protected] video recording EIS
- Selfie Camera: 44 MP, f/2.0, (wide), AF
8 MP, f/2.3, 105˚ (ultrawide) | video up to [email protected]
- Connectivity & Ports: Dual-5G, 4G LTE, Bluetooth 5.2, WiFi ac, GPS, USB-C, NFC
- Security: face unlock, in-display fingerprint scanner
- Battery: 4000mAh battery (33W)
- Audio: loudspeaker
- OS: Android 11, OriginOS 1.0
- Colors: Black, White, Gradient Blue
- Price: CNY2999(~Php22,500) and CNY3299(~Php24,700)
- Release date: March 2021 (China)