Six months after the release of the Reno4 Series, OPPO has launched the Reno5 Series successor in China. Dubbed as the Reno5 and Reno5 Pro, the two 5G devices come equipped with different SoCs — the Snapdragon 765G and Dimensity 1000+, respectively. Both will become available for purchase on December 18th with the following prices:
- Reno5 – 8GB/128GB – CNY 2699(~Php19,800)
- 12GB/256GB – CNY 2999(~Php22,000)
- Reno5 Pro – 8GB/128GB – CNY 3399(~Php24,900)
- 12GB/256GB – 12GB/256GB – CNY 3799(~Php27,900)
Design-wise, the Reno5 Series doesn’t look too different from the successor. However, OPPO made some tweaks to separate the new devices. On top of being glossy, the back panel features crystal-like patterns as an added extra shine along with oleophobic for smudge-resistance. The company also bothered to include fluorescent coating for the top portion of the frame and the camera module to make them glow in the dark. And provided this is OPPO we’re talking about, its newest premium mid-range phones are thin and light at only 173g and up to 7.99mm.
The Reno5 has a slightly smaller screen at 6.43″ diagonal but uses a flat FHD+ OLED panel with a 90Hz refresh rate, 600 nits typical, and 750 nits peak brightness. OPPO sourced different panels for the two devices, but the Reno5 Pro separates itself with curved edges, a bigger screen at 6.55″, and a brighter one, too, at 800 nits typical and 1100 nits peak.
Four identical cameras are found on the back, so regardless of which, you’re getting the same technical rear and front cameras. For starters, the 64MP f1.7 6P lens commands the back alongside 8MP ultrawide and a pair of 2MP for macro and depth. On the flip end, a 32MP f2.4 is housed inside a pinhole cutout. All five support EIS only.
Lastly, the battery is rated 4300mAh for the Reno5 and 4350mAh for the Reno5 Pro. Nevertheless, both support 65W SuperVOOC 2.0 charger and reverse charging via a wired connection.
Since the global availability of the Reno5 Series is yet to be official, the closest thing you can get, at least if you’re in the Philippines, is the Reno4 Z 5G that’s available via Smart postpaid plan only.
OPPO Reno5 5G specs, price, availability in the Philippines
- Display: 6.43″ OLED FHD+ 90Hz, 750nits peak
- Design: metal frame, glass back, oleophobic and fluorescent coated
- Dimension and Weight: 159.1 x 73.4 x 7.9 mm, 172g
- Chipset: Snapdragon 765G (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1×2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 620
- RAM: 8GB/ 12GB
- Storage: 128GB/256GB UFS 2.1 non-expandable
- Main Camera: 64 MP, f/1.7, (wide), 1/1.73″, 0.8µm, PDAF
8 MP, f/2.2, (ultrawide), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm
2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)| video up to [email protected] with EIS
- Selfie Camera: 32 MP, f/2.4, 24mm (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.8µm| up to [email protected] with EIS
- Connectivity & Ports: 5G, 4G/LTE, Wi-Fi ac, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS, USB-C, audio jack
- Security: face unlock, in-display fingerprint scanner
- Battery: 4300mAh(65W)
- Audio: loudspeaker, aptX HD codec
- OS: Android 11, ColorOS 11.1
- Colors: Aurora Blue, Moonlight Black, Starry Dream
- Price: CNY 2699(~Php19,800) and CNY 2999(~Php22,000)
- Release Date: December 2020 (China)