Vivo’s iQOO gaming brand has just released a new device that’s not a gaming phone but is like a gaming phone? While iQOO started its days releasing gaming devices, it seems like it doesn’t mind competing in the mainstream market with its affordable iQOO Z1 5G smartphone. Going available in Chine starting June 1st, the device is priced at CNY 2198(~P15,700) for the 6GB/128GB model. The 8GB/128GB and 8GB/256GB are priced at CNY 2498(~P17,800) and CNY 2798(~P19,900), respectively.
Going back to our first statement, the iQOO Z1 5G looks a lot like most smartphones today — featuring glass backing with metal frame design. There’s even a hole-punch 16MP selfie camera. What’s interesting, however, is the innards. It uses MediaTek Dimensity 1000 flagship SoC which also features a built-in 5G modem to make the cost of the device incredibly low while allowing for the best performance at its price point. But instead of offering only great graphical performance, the day-to-day experience is expected to be smoother and faster thanks to the 144Hz refresh rate. While the device is not using OLED, as seen from the fingerprint scanner on the right-hand side, you still get HDR10+ and DCI-P3 color gamut support for an IPS LCD.
Technically speaking, the cameras aren’t as exciting as other smartphones on the market, but you still get a decent 48MP triple camera setup featuring 8MP ultrawide and 2MP macro lenses.
Judging by the features the device offers and the asking price, it looks like this is the new flagship killer in 2020.
iQOO Z1 5G specs, price, availability in the Philippines
- Display: 6.57″ FHD+ IPS LCD, HDR10+, 144Hz, DCI-P3
- Design: metal frame, glass backing
- Dimension and Weight: 164 x 75.6 x 8.9 mm, 195g
- Chipset: Mediatek Dimensity 1000+ (7nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.6 GHz Cortex-A77 & 4×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G77 MC9
- RAM: 6GB/8GB
- Storage: 128GB/256GB non-expandable
- Main Camera: 48 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/2.0″, 0.8µm, PDAF
8 MP, f/2.2, 16mm, 112˚ (ultrawide), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm
2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
| up to 4K30fps video with EIS
- Selfie Camera: 16 MP, f/2.0, (wide | up to [email protected] video
- Connectivity & Ports: 5G, 4G/LTE, Wi-Fi 6 (ax), Bluetooth 5.0, USB-C, audio jack
- Security: face unlock, side-mounted fingerprint scanner
- Battery: 4500mAh (44W Super Flash Charge 2.0 – 100% in 59 mins)
- Audio: quad-speakers, quad-microphones
- OS: Android 10, iQOO UI 1.0
- Colors: Galaxy Silver, Space blue
- Price: CNY 2198(~P15,700) and CNY 2798(~P19,900)
- Release date: June 1, 2020 (China)