Screen recording is a useful feature for capturing activities on your device. Many users use this feature as an educational tool or to share gameplay. Because of its popularity, Chromebook has integrated this feature into its operating system.
If you have recently switched from a new operating system to a Chromebook and are unfamiliar with the screen recording feature, we have prepared a detailed guide on how to do so.
How to Screen Record on Chromebook?
The screen recording capability was modified in ChromeOS version 89, along with the addition of some new capabilities. Because screen recording is so popular, it now has its own section in the menu.
Using the Built-In Screen Recorder
ChromeOS includes a feature that allows you to record your current screen. The built-in app is considerably easier to use and access. Follow these instructions to learn how to screen record on your Chromebook:
1. By clicking on the bottom right corner, you may access the menu.
2. By pressing the arrow, you may expand the menu.
3. Select the Screen capture option. You can also launch this program directly by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Show Windows.
4. Next to the camera icon, click the video icon.
5. A bar with recording controls will appear at the bottom of the screen. Choose between recording full screen, half screen, or a window.
To record the entire screen, use fullscreen.
Partial screen: To record a portion of the screen.
Window: To record a certain window
6. To begin recording your screen, press anywhere on the screen or Record. When you see a countdown on the screen, it means the recording is about to begin.
To add your own audio to the screen recording, go to the Settings icon and select the Record Microphone option.
7. A red indicator will display in the bottom right corner of the screen to indicate that the screen is presently being recorded. To stop the recording, click the red symbol.
The recorded video clip will be saved in your Chromebook’s Downloads folder. You may also open the folder by clicking on the notification that appears after the screen recording is complete. Follow these procedures to change the save location:
1. Ctrl + Shift + Show Windows will be displayed.
2. Click on the settings icon.
3. Go to Select folder and choose your preferred location.
Using Screencast App
Chromebook PC features a new software named Screencast since ChromeOS version 104. It comes pre-installed and may also be used to record your screen. To use this app, you must also sign in with your Google account. Any recordings made with this app will be saved to Google Drive under the account’s name.
Over the built-in record feature, screencast provides various benefits. One of the most visible benefits is the ability to include a webcam recording alongside the recording screen. It also allows you to sketch over the video recording to emphasize key portions. These capabilities make it easier for users to provide additional information to viewers.
1. Launch the Screencast app.
2. Press New Screencast.
3. Select whether to record the entire screen, a portion of the screen, or a window.
4. This app already has the camera and microphone turned on. By clicking the setting icon, you may alter these settings.
5. After you’ve confirmed your recording choices, clicking anywhere on the screen will begin recording.
6. To stop recording the screen, click the red button.
Using Browser Extension
A Chromebook includes the Chrome browser pre-installed. You may also record your screen with a browser addon. The browser extension will add screen recording capabilities to your browser, allowing you to record the screen. To add a browser extension, follow these steps:
1. Launch the Chrome web browser.
2. Go to the Chrome Web Store.
3. Look for a screen recording.
4. Double-click on the preferred extension. If you’re having trouble deciding, read their customer reviews.
5. Click the Add to Chrome button.
6. Press Add extension on the pop-up
7. The Extensions button next to the address bar allows you to access the extension features.
Using Third-Party Applications
There are several programs that offer screen recording capabilities for your Chromebook. Some apps may have extra capabilities that allow you to alter the recordings. You can get a screen recording app from the Google Play store. If you’re not sure which app to select, read their review to have a better understanding of the app.
What Is the Best Way to Take a Screenshot on a Chromebook?
You may also use the built-in app to snap a screenshot. A screenshot captures a picture of the screen, but the screen record function records the screen in real time. Screenshots, like screen recordings, will be kept in the same place.
Here’s how to take a screenshot on a Chromebook:
1. Open the menu and select Screen capture. This program can also be launched directly by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Overview.
2. Select the camera icon.
3. Choose either Record full screen, partial screen, or a window.