If you’re one of the iPhone 6s 16GB model owners then probably you are currently facing the same problem as mine. And that is on the limited storage on the 16GB version of iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.
Why Buying the iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus with 16GB storage is a mistake
Choosing a 16GB versus the 64GB version of iPhone 6s is a dilemma before buying it. And I think it was a mistake not spending the extra $100 cash or roughly P5k pesos in Philippines in order to get the 64GB model, all knowing that new iPhone 6s duo have larger camera megapixel count, new Live Photos feature and 4k UHD video.
Though my iPhone 6s’ storage is not giving me headaches today, surely that issue will change once I start downloading games, putting movies and taking more photos and 4k UHD video on the iPhone 6s.
Just today, I checked the available storage left which is 5GB. That amount is good for 2-3 hefty games such as Asphalt or maybe just enough for Arkham Knight. For movies, I will have whole Mr. Robot or Penny Dreadful season in 720p resolution. I think this is a big big problem for people like me who at least play games and store TV series to watch and play when on travel and when on couch — getting all these will need to sacrifice 4K UHD video recording.
iPhone 6s 16GB storage breakdown and what could you do with 11.6GB free memory
- 16GB version has 11.6GB useable storage
- 4K UHD video recording: 1 minute video equates to 300MB-400MB file size or around 30-40minutes of lifetime 4K video shooting
- Still image file size with Live Photos: upon checking the file size of images, average size is around 3MB or ~3300 images in lifetime (no extra space for apps, games, other data, etc.)
Remember, these calculations still don’t include the datas from apps, emails, games, music and videos. So my estimate is that typical user would be able to fit 100 images and 10minutes 4K video coupled with few apps and graphics-intense games on their 6-month period.
What’s worse with this 16GB model is the lack of microSD card slot expansion, true for all iPhone devices. I know that built-in storage has the advantage of faster data process, but Apple should have at least stopped producing 16GB base model iPhones this last quarter of the year.
In the end, decision will still depend on how you manage your storage despite having a 16GB storage.
Right now, it is either sell the iPhone 6s and get the iPhone with an ample memory, or just stay with it and face the problem of storage issues on near future.
iPhone 6S specs, price Philippines
|4.7-inch IPS LCD 750×1334 pixels, 326ppi|
|7.1mm thick, 143g weight|
|Apple A9 chip, dual core processor|
|16/64/128GB internal, no microSD card slot|
|12MP, dual tone LED flash, 2160p 4K UHD video|
|5MP selfie camera, 720p video|
|4G LTE, WiFi ac, Bt 4.1, GPS, NFC only for Apple Pay|
|Rose Gold, Space Grey, Gold, Silver|
|Bought from Lazada for P37500 as of October 1|
Related posts, comparisons, reviews:
- iPhone 6s 16GB Space Grey Unboxing, First Impressions, Hands-on
- iPhone 6s Officially Announced, Full Specs, Features and Price in Philippines
- iPhone 6s Phablet Full Specs, Features and Price in Philippines
- 5 Reasons Why People Would Buy iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus
- iPad Mini 4 Retina Officially Launched
- Apple iPad Pro Specs, Features