After several leaks, Kia has finally introduced the 2021 Kia Sorento, their mid-sized SUV offering, along with a new engine option and a big exterior change. The all-new Sorento will be launching this end of 2020 starting in the USA and around early 2021 in the Philippines.
The Sorento 2021 brings the biggest change on its exterior. It is a far departure from the previous model. The grill resembles the Kia Seltos but in a more aggressive way. The rear sports new vertical taillights and bumper while the overall stance is slightly longer and taller.
The exterior boasts a more premium finish and updated infotainment system. It is expected that the local version of the Sorento will sport 7-seat as well as on the other SEA markets. Surprisingly, the Sorento 2021 will have its 6-seater variant too.
In terms of engine offering, the 2.2-diesel CRDi engine that is currently powering the PH variant will remain but in an updated form of Smartstream engines. It produces 200 HP and plenty of torque at 440Nm.
The new engine option is the 1.6-liter turbocharged mated with a 44kW electric that provides a total output of 226 horsepower and 350 Nm of pulling power. The 2.5-liter gasoline turbocharged will remain in other regions with 277 HP and 421 Nm.
The actual release date will vary from country to country with the US market getting the first dibs while other regions will follow sometime in early 2021.
For the official pricing, the current Sorento retails at P1.8-million pesos for the 2WD drive while the AWD is priced at P2.2-million Philippine pesos.
2021 Kia Sorento specs, price, release date in the Philippines
- Body type: 5-door mid-sized SUV
- Engine: 2.2-liter diesel CRDi or 1.6-liter hybrid turbo
- Power: 200 HP or 277 HP
- Torque: 440 Nm or 421 Nm
- Transmission: dual-clutch wet CVT automatic
- Fuel efficiency: est. 20km to 25km* for the hybrid electric
- Ground clearance: 200mm
- Safety: Driver and front passenger airbags, ABS or Anti-lock Brake System, Parking sensors and a 360-degree camera (optional), ISOFIX
- Features: Touch infotainment system, LED lights, panoramic sunroof (optional)
- Price: P1.8M to P2.2M pesos
- Release date: Launching in early 2021 in the Philippines