Huawei unveils the first entry to the Nova 8 Series — the Nova 8 SE Standard Edition and Nova 8 SE High Edition. Other than their names, the main difference is the chipset inside. The Standard model only features MediaTek’s Dimensity 720, while the High model is equipped with a more capable Dimensity 800U. But regardless, both are compatible with 5G networks. In China, the Nova 8 SE is priced at CNY 2599(~Php18,900) while the High Edition comes at CNY 2699(~Php19,600). Both with 8GB LDPPR4x RAM and 128GB UFS 2.1 storage. Interestingly, there’s support for microSD card expansion as 5G phones typically omit this feature.
For the rest of the specs, the Nova 8 SE boasts a 6.53″ FHD+ OLED with a teardrop notch. There’s also no fast refresh rate, which isn’t a big deal to some when picture quality is a priority. However, the 3800mAh battery seems small by today’s standard. Thankfully, there’s a 66W fast charger in the box. This puts the Nova 8 SE slightly head of the 65W-charging Realme 7 Pro. Additionally, the phone is one of the thinnest we’ve seen, clocking in at 7.88m only.
Four cameras can be seen on the squared camera module, as spearheaded by a 64MP main sensor. A pair of 2MP lenses are reserved for depth and macro purposes, with an 8MP for ultrawide. On the other end, there’s a 16MP selfie camera.
Nova 8 SE comes in Magic Night Black, Dark Blue, Silver Moon Start, and Sakura Snow Clear Sky colors. It’ll go on sale in China starting November 11.
Huawei Nova 8 SE specs, price, availability in the Philippines
- Display: 6.53″ FHD+ OLED HDR10
- Design: metal and glass?
- Dimensions: 161.1 x 74.8 x 7.5 mm, 178 g
- Chipset: MediaTek MT6853 Dimensity 720 5G (7 nm) and Dimensity 800U 5G (7 nm) for High Edition
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.0 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- GPU: Mali-G57 MC3
- RAM: 8GB
- Storage: 128GB UFS 2.1 non-expandable
- Main Camera: 64 MP, f/1.9, 26mm (wide), PDAF
8 MP, f/2.4, 120˚, 17mm (ultrawide)
2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
2 MP, f/2.4, (depth)
| up to 4K @ 30fps video recording
- Selfie Camera: 16 MP, f/2.0, (wide)
| video up to [email protected]
- Connectivity & Ports: 5G, 4G LTE, Bluetooth 5.1, WiFi ac, GPS, USB-C
- Security: face unlock, in-display fingerprint scanner
- Battery: 3800mAh(66W)
- Audio: mono speaker
- OS: Android 10, EMUI 10.1, no Google Play Services
- Colors: Black, Deep Blue, Blue, Silver
- Price: CNY 2599(~Php18,900) for the standard edition and CNY 2699(~Php19,600) for High Edition
- Release date: November 2020 (China)