There has been a lot of phone releases lately but the recently announced Galaxy A Quantum is probably the most exciting handset among them all. Launched in South Korea, Samsung Galaxy A Quantum is literally the Galaxy A71 5G but with a built-in quantum security chip for nearly impenetrable security. It’s only available from SK Telecom for a price of KRW 649,000(~P26,800). The Galaxy A Quantum will go on sale starting May 22 with free Galaxy Buds for those who will pre-order.
If you want to more about the Galaxy A Quantum’s specs, you can check out our Galaxy A71 5G coverage, or scroll down to the end of this page. Otherwise, we’re going to talk about that security chip.
The quantum security chip in the device is called SKT IDQ S2Q000 QRNG; developed by SK Telecom’s subsidiary, ID Quantique. According to SKT, it’s also the world’s smallest QRNG chipset at 2.55mm x 2.55mm.
The S2Q000 QRNG has two important components to produce quantum-level of security — an LED and CMOS image sensor. These parts work together to generate quantum random numbers, specifically made to be sent and received by mobile handsets and other IoT devices. The image sensor generates random numbers with a very high unpredictability pattern by capturing the signal noise emitted by the LED. Although the nature of the security still relies on probability, having it on a quantum level makes hacking nearly impossible. As a result, the quantum chipset drastically improves the security of applications with sensitive information, particularly SK Pay, T ID login, and Initial.
While quantum security chips aren’t on demand right now, it’s bound to be one of the most important parts of online security in the future, as cryptocurrency and blockchains continue to develop every year and the increasing number of mobile users to do payments and transactions.
Samsung Galaxy A Quantum specs, price, availability in the Philippines
- Display: 6.7″ FHD+ Super AMOLED, Corning Gorilla Glass 3, Infinity-O notch
- Design: polycarbonate frame and glasstic backing
- Dimension and Weight: 162.5 x 75.5 x 8.1 mm, 185 g
- Chipset: Exynos 980 (8 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.2 GHz Cortex-A77 & 6×1.8 GHz Cortex A55)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP5
- RAM: 8GB
- Storage: 128GB expandable via dedicated microSD slot of up to 256GB
- Main Camera: 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.72″, 0.8µm, PDAF
12 MP, f/2.2, 12mm (ultrawide)
5 MP, f/2.4, 25mm (macro), 1/5.0″, 1.12µm
5 MP, f/2.2, (depth)
| up to 4K @ 30fps video recording
- Selfie Camera: 32 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.8µm | up to FHD @ 30fps video recording
- Connectivity & Ports: 5G, 4G LTE, Bluetooth 5.0, WiFi ac, GPS, USB-C, NFC
- Security: face unlock, in-display fingerprint scanner, SKT IDQ S2Q000 QRNG
- Battery: 4500mAh battery with 25W fast adaptive charging
- Audio: south-firing mono speaker
- OS: Android 10.0; One UI 2
- Colors: Prism Cube Black, Prism Cube Sliver, Prism Cube Blue
- Price: KRW 649,000(~P26,800)
- Release date: May 22, 2020 (South Korea)